Thursday, July 27, 2006

Safety In Nigeria

I first learnt about PDP Chieftain Funsho Williams assassination on http://diamondhawk.blogspot.com/ 's blog and was not that surprise. The rate at which people are been assassinated in Nigeria is so high that when I am going to Nigeria,I don't even let my mum know until am there, cos she will always try to convince me not to come.

The killings in Naija is mostly because of Power,money and relationships(women),which is the same all over the world,but it is very easy to assassinate someone in Naija,even an important person and get away with it.

For example,Late Chief Bola Ige was assassinated while he was still the Attorney General of the Federal Republic of Nigeria under the administration of our one and only Obasanjo.My house to Chief Bola Ige's house in Bodija in Ibadan is like 5mins walk and I still saw him with his wife like 45mins before he was killed.
So we should ask ourselves how can someone like the Attorney General of a country,who is suppose to be the 3rd in command to the president be killed like a fowl and all the people arrested were released and nothing came out of the investigation till today.Chief Omisore,the then deputy governor of Osun state was arrested for the assassination and he later won an election to become a senator while he was still in prison.He was later released and served as a senator and the witness that confessed about the killing is no where to be found today to testify against him.
We also have a lot of people that has been killed just because of power and money and which this crazy administration we have as our government definitely know about.Like in 2002,the PDP chairman of Rivers State,Chief Dikibo Marshall Harry was killed just because he decided to oppose Peter Odili running for a second term.Peter Odili is Obasanjo's godson,he is the one soliciting for Obasanjo with the Oil companies.Obasanjo's third term campaign is been backed by the Oil companies.

Imagine this,2 of my cousins were killed during the last election just cos they were running for counselorships posts in their different local government and I have a friend here that his Uncle left here to go and run for a chairmanship seat in Naija and the guy was almost killed,the guy is limping now cos he was shot in the leg and was flown back here for a surgery cos he was told in Naija that they had to amputate the leg.If you ask the guy about Naija now,the guy will tell you Naija is visiting and America is home.

I am still trying to figure out how people survive in Nigeria,because you will still see some people earning just N7000 monthly.With that kind of salary,why wont the person do anything for money if he gets the chance to.I was in traffic on Allen one day and saw this old man selling recharge cards for cellphones,somehow I just felt compasionate towards the man and called him.I asked him how big is his family and he told me he has 5kids with his wife making 7 of them.The only job he has is selling the recharge cards which I am sure he is getting from a middle man who is getting a commision off the sales.How much can he making to sustain his family?I actually gave the guy all the naira I had on me that day and the guy did not believe it cos he was just like why am I giving him money.

I love Nigeria with all my heart o,because Nigeria made me who I am today in terms of morals and generally how to view life,but when I think about things that happen on a daily basis in that country,I shiver.Everytime I go to Naija,the only way of surviving or relating is to change ur attitude as soon as u land in naija.At a point in time my brother looked at me one day and was like am I sure I stay in the US or I actually stay in Ghana cos the way I act when am in Naija scares him.The reason for doing that is just to let people know that you can not be swindled or assaulted.

I worked for the first Internet Service provider in Nigeria after my NYSC and actually thought I was getting paid then,cos u know freash from college,young with no responsibility yet and living life in Port Harcourt.....people that have been to Port Harcourt will know what am talking about.I went to the company to just look around and got talking to people working there now cos I still have a couple of my collegues then still working there and found out that the people doing the same job I was doing 4-5 yrs ago are still been paid the same salary that I was been paid back then.Can you imagine with all the inflation in Nigeria within the 4-5yrs.


What I always tell people is all we can do is keep praying for naija and hope for the best which is not in sight any time soon as I can see sha.Like one of my friends said that a pastor said it has gotten to stage that you have to start praying for yourself and your family instead of praying for Nigeria.

8 Comments:

At Friday, July 28, 2006 4:47:00 PM, Blogger Nneka's World said...

That country needs divine intervention!

 
At Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:49:00 PM, Blogger DiAmOnD hawk said...

NB you're soooooo right on with this post. Everyone says we should pray for nigeria...but really it's our family that we should pray for. A shame that your cousins were killed but you know I've said this before, to do anything for Nigeria, to hope for any kind of reform....we have to be willing to die and Im not sure Im at that point yet

God bless you for blessing that guy...glad to know there are still people around like you...

People are still getting paid the same...they need to look for a new job...but i guess that's easier said than done in Nigeria. No wonder ppl are always hustling...ppl always talking about "runs"

 
At Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:55:00 PM, Blogger DiAmOnD hawk said...

wwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaatttttttttt.... i can see my comments....
funny thing is that i was on someone else's blog commenting on a joke thinking it was YOUR blog...and i made this exact comment...surprised I could see my comments....

WHY AM I COMMENTING ABOUT COMMENTS...

bye jare...

 
At Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

diamond hawk don kolo

 
At Monday, July 31, 2006 12:10:00 PM, Blogger NaijaBloke said...

@Nneka I agree with u o,only divine intervention o.
@Diamond ..men I was cracking up when I saw ur second comment.Well like u said me am not ready to die for a stupid cause which might not change after ur ass has been put 6ft under.

 
At Thursday, August 03, 2006 6:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still dont understand how they were able to enter his house and strangle him... Its unfortunate, but they just wont find the killers or the person behind it all...
I mean if they couldnt find the Killers of the Chief Justice of the Country...

 
At Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:04:00 PM, Blogger Lowla said...

Lmao.. Im sorry to say, even though I love Nigeria to bits, its one of the topics I avoid because , we always end up going back to the root of the problem without having it solved, cos of the people in power.
I suggested to a friend that the entire country should be eradicated or something.. lol.. I know im talking crap but come to think of it, even these political leaders, the corruption and misuse of power extends to their 2nd or 3rd generations, i mean if my dad is the minister of petroleum resources now, I can get free tank refill in times of fuel scarcity just because of my dad's long connection..or my friend sef can benefit..thats how it extends and extends till connection reach market woman sef..
Its sad..
Shey we that are suffering from natural disasters here in the Far East, Nigeria is suffering from HUMAN DISASTER..lol, if that means anything..
God dey sha..

 
At Monday, September 04, 2006 10:21:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nigeria our Nigeria,what can we do to/about you?
the funsho william murder story hit me kinda hard,tho i met the man onky twice in my entire life(and honestly ddnt like him much)but the fact that people can think within themselves that the only way they can win elections in naija now,isnt even to outrig their opponent but to kill him off completely,this makes me shiver to my bones.One thing they should all know is that God is a Nigerian and He does not sleep nor slumber and Has His eyes on our country.He will give us atrue leader as at when due and He will shame our "jeun ko ku"(sorry fela)politicians.
as our national anthem says "O God of creation direct our noble cause......"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home