Friday, August 25, 2006

Just Some Ramblings

I was reading a post today about how our one and only Baba Iyabo,OBJ did a public showdown on my guy Eedris Abdulkareem at a function when he sang one of my best naija songs till date "Jaga Jaga". The amount of Illiteracy been shown by OBJ does not befit a Nation like ours.I remember when he came to houston and did a press conference,a nigerian guy asked him a question about the way things are getting worse in Nigeria and guess what ur President said,he told the guy to shut up and how can he be asking him that kind of question.

Firstly, with the intensity and rate at which we pride education in our country,why is it that the qualification to become the President Of Federal Republic of Nigeria is a High School Certificate Diploma? With the rate of scholars we have in the country,why are will still been ruled by people that did not go to school?I know a lot of people will be like,you don't have to be educated to be a leader ... right.I agree to that as well,but leading a Nation like Nigeria is more than been just a leader.

I saw a book about The Nigerian Government since our independence with one of my friend's dad and was looking at the names of people that has been in government since independence and found out that we still have the same people that governed us in the 60's still running the damn show in the year 2006.How can a nation progress or develop when the same people are still making decisions for us in 2006 the same way they were making it in 1966.

Men it saddens me when I read about issues in Nigeria.The post AYOKE did just made me remember stuffs i saw when i went back home in December. I have some friends in Nigeria that are always like things is getting better in Nigeria and I always tell them that the only reason you are enjoying in Nigeria is because you have a job and hang out with people that doing ok too.What is the ratio of people suffering in Nigeria compared to the people that are doing fine and how do you generally put yourself in the path of doing fine in Nigeria?Right now in Nigeria if you don't know someone that know someone,you can't get a job after wasting your life in school with all the strikes and everything.

I guess I should just stop here ..lemme leave you with a joke I saw somewhere.

One day I met a sweet gentleman and fell in love. When it became apparent that we would marry, I made the supreme sacrifice and gave up beans. Some months later, on my birthday, my car broke down on the way home from work. Since I lived in the countryside I called my husband and told him that I would be late because I had to walk home. On my way, I passed by a small diner and the odor of baked beans was more than I could stand. With miles to walk, I figured that I would walk off any ill effects by the time I reached home, so I stopped at the diner and before I knew it, I had consumed three large orders of baked beans. All the way home, I made sure that I released all the gas. Upon my arrival, my husband seemed excited to see me and exclaimed delightedly: "Darling I have a surprise for dinner tonight." He then blindfolded me and led me to my chair at the dinner table. I took a seat and just as he was about to remove my blindfold, the telephone rang. He made me promise not to touch the blindfold until he returned and went to answer the call. The baked beans I had consumed were still affecting me and the pressure was becoming most unbearable, so while my husband was out of the room I seized the opportunity, shifted my weight to one leg and let one go. It was not only loud, but it smelled like a fertilizer truck had run over a skunk in front of a pulpwood mill. I took my napkin from my lap and fanned the air around me vigorously. Then, shifting to the other cheek, I ripped off three more. The stink was worse than cooked cabbage. Keeping my ears carefully tuned to the conversation in the other room, I went on like this for another few minutes. The pleasure was indescribable. When eventually the telephone farewells signaled the end of my freedom, I quickly fanned the air a few more times with my napkin, placed it on my lap and folded my hands back on it feeling very relieved and pleased with myself. My face must have been the picture of innocence when my husband returned apologizing for taking so long. He asked me if I had peeked through the blindfold, and I assured him I had not. At this point, he removed the blindfold, and ... scroll down twelve dinner guests seated around the table chorused: "Happy Birthday!" I fainted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a blessed weekend.

12 Comments:

At Saturday, August 26, 2006 4:25:00 AM, Blogger LondonBuki said...

I wonder if our generation will produce REAL leaders. We are all educated but right now it's the old presidents (IBB) that are interested in coming back. Oh well... God will do it (Amen).

LOL!!! NB, I am sure you were the "woman" and you just changed the main characters! Pele. Lesson Learned: Don't Eat Beans.

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 10:02:00 AM, Blogger Smoothvibes said...

lol lol lol..Funny Joke!

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 11:25:00 AM, Blogger Miguel said...

My guyyyy Nice post! I must say though to rule a country you have to be an educated leader...i think the problem with Nigeria is the minimal level of education set...In this country (US), most of the people who run for offices have one advanced degree or the other.
I think until Nigeria gets to a point where people are awardedor rewarded based on meritocracy, our democracy is bound to suffer. Until this is resolved, it makes no difference who rules..military or civilian...

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 6:02:00 PM, Blogger Mari said...

how embarrassing! wow, i would just die. infact, knowing the kind of person i am, i would have peeked.

nigeria is very sad...very freaking sad. i gave up on talking about the problems and arguing with people who claim nigeria is getting better. the gap btw the rich and poor is immense and so disappointing. the rich just keep getting richer and the poor? who's thinking about them? makes me cry when i go home and see people i've know from way back doing worse each year.

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 9:01:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The debate about our leaders past or present is a turbulent issue anyday. The fact remain that no matter how hard we try, the same poeople or their annointed children have always been the ones holding the reigns ofpower at any point in time. Politics in nigeria has always been and will always continue to be centered upon who ur 'Godfather' is or who is 'backing' ur candidature. We really do need a renewal of the mind concerning government being an avenue of sharing our national cake.
As for Baba, his utterances have always been that of a typical naija man or should I say once a soldier always a soldier? He has repeated this behaviour so many times over.
LOL about the joke. It always has me in stitches each time I read it. The havoc beans creates. If it were me, I would wish the ground would open up and swallow me. Passing gas in front of allthose guest!! Pheeeeww !!!!

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 9:07:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mari,
Na true talk o jare!! The gap between the rich and the poor is so astronomical.The rich getting richer and the poor struggling to survive each passing day. Our taxes meant for maintenane of public infrastructure being partitioned between 2 or 3 top govt officials who now flaunt ir to show that they have 'arrived' and yet, these top officials will still pay their staff measerly sums as monthly salaries to be used by thesse staff to support in most cases large families is absolutely ridiculous!! I keep on wondering to myself how they manage to sleep at night when they pay maybe a driver £100 or its equivalent as his monthly salary to feed a wife and several kids when they know that they spend that same amount wothout blinking an eyelid on a branded T-shirt or maybe a TM Lewin Shirt in the UK.
Life isnt just at all!!

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 9:56:00 AM, Blogger Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

i was just thinking exaclty what buki's comment said. these days its more who you know rather than are you qualified to lead.

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 2:24:00 PM, Blogger NaijaBloke said...

@Buki.. if i was the woman I would have taken a peek to see what the surprise was.

@smoothvibes ..thx for droppin by ..

@Miguel thatz the whole point and with the rate at which we attain heights of educational level.

@Mari ..I second with u on that o.I stopped arguing as well.

@Calabar ..na so naija dey o.

@Onada. thatz the only way u can get anything in naija o ..

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 3:10:00 PM, Blogger Nneka's World said...

OMG!!!! I cant even type well that joke was toooooo funny mehn!!!!!
Hahahaha!!!!

At our leaders what do you expect that is y they call him "uncle sege"

 
At Sunday, August 27, 2006 5:09:00 PM, Blogger DiAmOnD hawk said...

u know i've read that joke before but it's still funny...reminds me of the papa ajasco cartoon in the papers...there was one similar...he was blaming ajasco...and that one set him up infront of the congregation...anyways...

NB...oro Nigeria ti su mi. We talk and talk and talk...it's like Im weak with everything that's going on...Nigeria is getting better is some aspects...but really the only ppl that see that are the ones that are well to do...becaue it is them that reap the benefits.

I cant believe the president said that to someone...gosh...ultimate crassness...

We need to rile up the youth of nigeria...ALL THE YOUTH...we all need to come together...maybe even form our own party...I dont think Nigeria will ever reach a breaking point...you know...ppl say things will get worse before they get better but Nigerians are very resilient...they just adapt...

Although most times, it's all about who you know...having a foreign degree kinda from an ivy league school no less helps too...utter nonsense!

 
At Monday, August 28, 2006 7:48:00 AM, Blogger TMinx said...

Its a sad state we are in right now. I am almost tempted to pack my bags and leave if IBB comes back into power, just on principle, but what of the peeps that have no choice? As for Baba, seeing his poor public speaking skills he should do more for the education of our citizens. Bill gates dropped out of Uni and doesnt sound like an illiterate. Some people at NYSC camp were complete illiterates. Broken english was rampant along with traditional languages. I was too dazed at the level of stupidity.

 
At Wednesday, August 30, 2006 2:24:00 PM, Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

Great post, havn't heard this joke. Imagine the expession on their faces. Thats enough for heart to stop. We are learning!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home